Holidays are a time to celebrate the joys of love and friendship, to share time with the special people in our lives, and of course, to enjoy a bountiful meal together, often full of rich foods and treasured traditions and customs. Perhaps you aren't hosting the gourmet holiday feast, but you can certainly help with the efforts by bringing some appetizers that are sure to make mouths water. Sure, your appetizers will look as if you toiled all day in the kitchen with preparation, when in fact, good gourmet appetizers are all about the ingredients, and not about a long day of preparation. Of course, everyone has their own customs based upon super secret family recipes, ethnicity, taste, and dietary preferences and needs, so we wanted to share one of our ideas that is adaptable, flavorful, and a cinch to make! Taco dip: Our family uses a simple form of this dip, but again, it is a very versatile dish depending upon your guests' preferences. And, with its ingredients bursting with red and green colors, you'll have a ready-made festive presentation, too! Of course, fresh is always best, but this recipe is well-suited to many pre-packaged ingredients as well.
- Take a shallow 12-14" dish or platter (we like to use glass) and spread cream cheese on the bottom, approximately ¼ inch thick.
- Drain a pint of your favorite salsa (we prefer mild and chunky) and spread over the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle your favorite shredded cheese over the top.
- Serve with taco chips. (we suggest multigrain or tri-colored chips)
- Suggested variations:
- Use low-fat or fat-free cream cheese for a healthier version
- Use low-fat or fat-free cheese for the top cheese layer for a healthier version
- Use pre-shredded cheese if you need to save time
- Add a layer of refried beanslow in fat and vegetarian-friendly
- Add a layer of ground beef; add taco seasoning while cooking for added zest
- Add a layer of shredded lettuce
- Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top for added flavor and color
So now you have done your part to help keep hungry guests happy until the meal arrives, but don't forget to acknowledge your host(ess). Choose a gourmet Christmas gift basket from our wide selection that truly has something for everyone. Does your host(ess) have a sweet tooth? Our Winter Wishes gourmet Christmas gift basket
is a delectable choice, made with home-baked snowflake cookies that are as pretty as they are tasty. Is your host(ess) watching the waistline? Try a twist on the traditional gourmet Christmas gift basket
with our beautiful Boxwood Tree, a lush shrub shaped into a Christmas tree! Are plant allergies an issue? No problem. Our wine and cheese gourmet Christmas gift basket
includes numerous wine-inspired cheeses and treats so (s)he can relax and enjoy when the hustle and bustle of the holiday is long gone. Whatever you gourmet Christmas gift basket
you choose, you'll be sure to secure your holiday dinner invite for years to come! Just be ready with another appetizer, too ;)